Garibaldi-Meucci Museum
Owned by Sons of Italy Foundation, Inc.
Administered by Grand Lodge of NY Board of Commissioners, OSIA








The History of the House

In the heart of Rosebank is the historic home of the inventor, Antonio Meucci and the legendary hero, Giuseppe Garibaldi. The simple country residence was built circa 1840 in the Gothic revival style. In 1850, Meucci and his wife Ester learned of its availability and soon after began renting it. Shortly thereafter, Garibaldi arrived in New York seeking refuge. Meucci offered him the hospitality of his home and together they worked in his candle factory. Later, in 1854, Garibaldi returned to Italy leading military forces that would provide for the unification of Italy and would win him worldwide fame.

When Garibaldi died in 1882, a committee formed to commemorate the hero's stay on these shores. In 1884, Meucci was on hand when a plaque was placed over the front door of the house. After Meucci's death the house was turned over to the Italian Community to be preserved as a memorial to Garibaldi.

In 1907, on the centennial of the hero's birth, the house was moved to its present location, and here a pantheon was erected over it. In 1919, the Garibaldi Society turned the house over to the Order Sons of Italy in America. The Order has restored and maintain the house ever since. With the assistance of the cultural department of the Italian Embassy, artifacts were collected from around the world. In May of 1956, the house was opened to the public and rededicated as The Garibaldi-Meucci Museum. Today, the museum is a National Landmark owed and operated by the Order Sons of Italy in America.



 printer-friendly